Wellbeing and mental health at work are becoming essential preoccupations both for organisations and individuals.
In the corporate world, the pressure is constant. Employers and employees not only have to perform but most of the time they also feel they have to excel and be fast. The numbers of complaints are growing: too much stress, intense tiredness, physical tensions, burn-out, sleep disorders, lack of concentration but also loss of motivation and confidence…
Stress is taken more and more seriously by organisations, as it can affect the workplace in a variety of ways, such as absenteeism, difficult interpersonal relationships, lack of efficiency and productivity. And for staff, it’s becoming survival to achieve a more sustainable work-life balance.
I was not always a Sophrologist. I started my career as a Legal & Business Affairs in Paris and then London, in the media industry. I was at the front witnessing (and experiencing!) the requirements to perform at high level, face pressure and challenges on a daily basis, with long hours and little breaks. Such a rhythm requires a constant high level of energy. It is hardly sustainable and it quickly became obvious to me that having strategies and tools to cope better with stress was a priceless asset.
It is then naturally that when I became of Sophrologist, I decided to use all my experience in the corporate world to develop tailored stress management programs for both individuals and organisations.
HOW CAN SOPHROLOGY HELP REDUCE WORKPLACE STRESS?
For those not yet familiar with Sophrology, let’s go back to what it is.
Sophrology was invented in the 1960s by a neuro-psychiatrist and it is a unique blend of Eastern practices and Western science designed to help relax and positively deal with life’s challenges. It combines simple relaxation, breathing, visualisation and gentle movement with the aim of balancing the body and the mind, building resilience, bringing awareness and positivity into daily life.
Sophrology is widely used on the continent. Some insurance companies in France and Switzerland even include it in their scheme, as it is now proven it can really help people with stress-related symptoms. And in the past decade, Sophrology has now naturally made its way into the corporate world: it is notably used in resilience programs, as well as for burnout prevention and recovery, to just name a few examples.
At BeSophro, we are a team of expert in stress management, passionate about Sophrology and dedicated to our clients. Over the years, we have worked with a number of executives and leaders, supporting them to perform at their best in the most relaxed, safe and comfortable environment possible. Our solid experience and our knowledge of the business world has allowed us to create effective solutions for our corporate clients. You will find below what is at the core of our programs.
3 STEPS TO AN EFFICIENT STRESS MANAGEMENT PROGRAM:
At BeSophro, our stress management solutions are built around 3 keys points:
- UNDERSTANDING THE MECHANISMS OF STRESS:
Understanding the physiology of stress and what is at play when under stress is the first step in building awareness, in order to better implement solutions. It is also about understanding the differences between acute and chronic stress, as well as the gap between ‘objective’ and ‘subjective’ sources of stress.
Stress is not always negative and it is time to start using stress at our advantage and not against us!
- RAISING AWARENESS AND ENCOURAGING GOOD PRACTICES AROUND STRESS MANAGEMENT:
When implementing a stress management program, it is essential to have a global approach.
We always assess in depth the needs of our clients and discuss simple health and lifestyle tips that are easy to apply. It can be as simple as taking regular breaks, learning “quick fix” stress solutions, improving time and quality of sleep, going screen free for a short period of time, learning to set priorities and good boundaries, preventing musculoskeletal problems and so on.
- PRACTISING SIMPLE EXERCISES USING BREATHING TECHNIQUES, DYNAMIC RELAXATION AND POSITIVE VISUALISATION – EASY TO USE ON A DAILY BASIS AT WORK OR AT HOME:
The time of practice is a time to pause, recuperate, calm the mind and lower muscular tensions.
Depending on the aim, the practice can also be theme-based, for example around learning how to relax and let go, increase confidence, improve focus and motivation, regain energy and balance…
Recordings are given to our clients so that they can practice at their own pace. Repetition will allow a gentle shift and a gentle and safe transformation towards more wellbeing!
WHY SOPHROLOGY IN BUSINESS?
Sophrology is a very simple, practical and yet powerful approach with many benefits. It will allow staff, managers and leaders under pressure to:
- Improve wellbeing;
- Learn how to relax, calm the mind and let go;
- Support recuperation and restful sleep;
- Feel more focused, improve concentration and memory;
- Perform well and improve productivity;
- Gain clarity on career goals and priorities;
- Deal positively with stress and emotions, learn how to respond rather than react;
- Prevent burn-out, tiredness, lack of vigilance and other stress-related symptoms;
- Promote self-awareness and positive communication;
- Increase confidence (self-esteem, assertiveness, public speaking);
- Build motivation and creativity;
- Achieve work-life balance
HOW TO IMPLEMENT SOPHROLOGY AS A STRESS MANAGEMENT SOLUTION?
There are several ways to implement Sophrology as a stress management program:
- One-Off seminars: In depth presentation of the method, where it comes from and how it works. Presentation and Sophrology practice on stress management and how to start implementing solutions NOW!
- Group staff training programs: Such training programs include a short theoretical part, with a synthesis of the available information on the covered topics (stress management, general wellbeing at work, assertiveness and confidence, restful sleep, increasing energy and vigilance, how to focus better, etc…) and a moment of practice with the teaching and practice of some key sophrology techniques. The training can be organised as an intensive course [over half days or days, depending on the needs] or shorter sessions over several weeks.
- One to one tailor-made sessions and leadership programs: either available to all staff or to leaders, one to one sophrology consultations onsite to address any specific concern or issue.
“Over the years, Sophrology has proven to be a fantastic support to help staff, managers and leaders to cope better with the high demands and expectations of the business world. The strength of Sophrology is to show them efficient strategies to respond to various sources of stress, but it also encourages them to build resilience and helps them alleviating symptoms of stress.”
Sophie became a Sophrologist following a successful career in the media industry, during which she gained a deep understanding of what it is to be under pressure in a competitive professional environment. Through her gentle and caring approach, Sophie creates a safe space for her clients to explore their inner resources and reveal their potential, allowing a gentle transformation at their own pace.
Her primary focus is on stress management, tailored wellbeing solutions, sleep disorders, chronic fatigue and burnout. She also works with children and teenagers for exam preparation, as well as offering pre and postnatal Sophrology services. Sophie regularly holds BeSophro workshops and classes for corporate, charities and schools. She is fluent in French and English.
For more information, please get in touch with the BeSophro team: [email protected]